Re: fuel lines revisited (and flaring tools)

To: Michael Marr <mmarr@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: fuel lines revisited (and flaring tools)
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 12:37:40 -0800
Michael Marr wrote:

> Joe Curry wrote:
> >
> > Malcolm Walker wrote:

> > > I *think* these are called brass compression sleeves here in North
> > > America.  They are called brass olives in England.
> > >
> > > You can get them from most any plumbing supply store.  They are about 25
> > > cents each (or less).  They are also much much much easier to use than a
> > > bubble flare- slip them on and tighten it up.
> > >
> > > I bought sizes from 3/16 to 5/16, smallest was used to patch my oil gauge
> > > line, and other two were used on fuel lines.
> > >
> > > My car also (had) olive fittings on the brake lines.  Shame!  They have
> > > now been replaced with one solid line from master cyl. to tee.
> > >

> > I think you will find that the people in the hardware store will know
> > what you are talking about if you tell them you want a "ferrule".  That
> > is the familiar plumbing term for the product.
> >
> > Joe Curry   '63 Spit
> At the risk of repeating something that has already been said (I have
> not been following this thread religiously), compression fittings should
> never be used on brake lines - they are not designed for the pressures
> developed in a hydraulic system.

Michael,
I think the reference here is for Fuel Line applications.  Since they
never exceed 20 psi or so (that is with an Electric pump), the fittings
would be fine.  The common use for this type compression fitting is
water pipes (also oil gauge lines) that go as high as 100 psi or more.

Joe Curry  '63 Spit