fuel lines revisited (and flaring tools)

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: fuel lines revisited (and flaring tools)
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 11:05:50 -0700
Belated thanks to those who replied to my questions about the fuel lines
recently (I want to replace the lines in my TR6). I have since learned
about flaring metal lines (haven't bought the tools yet though). Also
now know a little about the different types of fittings for hydraulic
circuits.

I have decided to replace only those metal lines which come after the
fuel filter. On my car that means three lines:

1. the short 5/16" line from the filter to the pump
2. the long 1/4" line from the pump around the front of the engine
3. the 1/4" line which splits the line into two for the two carbs using
a brass T

1 & 2 both have a brass "tubing sleeve" which seems to resemble an olive
in shape and seems to perform the function that a bubble flare would
serve. Is there a reason the two fittings which go into the fuel pump
use these brass sleeves and not a regular bubble flare on the line?
Would a bubble (or other ?) flare serve the same purpose or is there
something I am missing here? Reason I ask is that the brass sleeves are
not available from TRF and the smaller one (for the 1/4" line) not even
listed in the other two catalogs.

I read interesting article about brake plumbing at
http://www.dimebank.com/BrakePlumbing.html and the author state that a
bubble flare is the first half of a double flare. Yet a local mechanic
states that to make a bubble flare you need a different "jig" for the
flaring tool. Who is right (or are there different types of bubble
flares)?

Finally, line 3 - it is 3 pieces of 1/4" tubing joined by a brass T and
brazed together (at the T). What kind of braze is required for a fuel
line fitting?

Thanks for any help with this.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)