RE: fuel lines revisited (and flaring tools)

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: fuel lines revisited (and flaring tools)
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 13:53:20 -0700

        <bunchastufdeleted>

> At the risk of repeating something that has already been said (I have
> not been following this thread religiously), compression fittings
> should
> never be used on brake lines - they are not designed for the pressures
> developed in a hydraulic system.

        What is the definition of a compression fitting? To me it seems
that all the seals involving flares use some form of compression of two
metals against each other. I assumed that compression fitting meant
using a rubber hose and clamp. This seems to be a mistake on my part. So
can someone enlighten me as to the correct meaning of "compression
fittings" (at least in this context).

        BTW, I have no intention of changing the fittings on my brake
system, I am only working on fuel lines. My car has the dual carbs so
high pressures are not an issue there IMO.

        Thanks!

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada