Re: Downshifting

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Downshifting
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 19:53:31 -0800
Ed Torrence wrote:

> My '71 TR-6 runs fine when it's cold.  But after it warms up, I sometimes
> cannot get the car to downshift into first or second.  Turn the engine off
> and it will slip into gear easily.  There's no grinding or scraping noises.
> Other than occassionally refusing to downshift, the clutch and transmission
> sound and feel fine.  Of course, it only does this when I'm at a traffic
> light and there are 5000 cars behind me.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.  I'm not sure where to start on this one.

Ed, just a note here to inform you of another *possible* cause, or even
contributing problem.  It is possible, I've learned, for the pilot bearing
to drag on the end of the input shaft as well.  What ends up happening is
although you've got the clutch pedal in all the way, and although the
clutch itself is properly disengaged, power is still being transmitted into
the input shaft as a result of the binding pilot bearing.  The symptoms
this creates usually are:

The car will not drop into first gear unless the car is moving forward
slowly.  However, there is no grinding.  Second gear can also be a little
tricky, but to a much lesser degree.  As I remember, it is MOST obvious
when shifting DOWN, but can also be detected as being a little "sticky"
when shifting up.  Reverse gear will only be accesible with the ignition
switched off.  With the engine running, you will get a terrible grind when
trying to access reverse gear.  It is likely that the condition will worsen
as the car reaches operating temperature.  Our Toyota had this problem and
my dad (when he owned it) chased the problem forever, but found no cure.
Later, when I ended up with the car, I changed the pilot bearing (along
with the clutch) and it has given me no problems since.  There was
noticeable (but serviceable) damage to the end of the input shaft in the
form of what I will call "heat marks."  (A metallurgist I am not!!)  This
supported the dragging pilot bearing theory.

You did not mention any troubles with reverse, so this may or may not be
your problem.  If it is, then you'll likely notice that it shifts (in all
directions) MUCH, MUCH easier once it's fixed.

Good luck.

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6 CF10732