Re: tr6 steering column

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: tr6 steering column
From: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 15:38:27 -0600
Cc: triumph listserv <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
        Peter, I just went through this, when I lost my keys. If the bolts
have not been sheared off, they should be pretty easy to get off. I my case
one was and one wasn't.  What I had to do was remove the X brace, and U
clamps from the underneath the steering column. I then rotated the entire
shaft 180 degrees to expose the top of the lock mechanism. The bolts were
very simple to remove using a drill and an easy-out.  I am thinking of using
an allen head  bolts as a replacement instead of the bolts that came with
the new lock. A Standard bolt or shouldered bolt  will not work because the
bolt heads are recessed into the top of the lock when properly torque down.
The threads look pretty standard. After you remove the old bolts it should
be pretty easy to lock new ones.

    I haven't installed the new lock yet, because I discovered that the
plate that clamps to the column on the firewall side is broken. Has anyone
had much luck fabricating a replacement?.

--
Roger Helman                  71 TR6 CC67866L
Digimation Inc.               http://deepthought.digimation.com/rogerh/