Re: SU

To: bunce@alma.edu
Subject: Re: SU
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:42:20 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Illegal-object: Syntax error in References: value found on gateway.ukaea.org.uk:References: <md5:4949BDD9A7331F92B6BF016649AD9041> ^-illegal end of message identification
bunce@alma.edu wrote:

>  The engine that I replaced in the  1970 Spit MKIII had a single Stromberg
> carb. The 1969 engine that I  put in had dual SU's. I had to put the Stromberg
> on the 1969 engine at the time but I was wondering if it would be better to
> rebuild the SU's and refit them. Any opinions? How hard are they to rebuild?
>
> Mark

I rebuilt my SU HS4's on my car, and had no major problems, one thing
someone
once told me is don't clean the carbon from your butterflys (he owned a
2.5PI
with 6 of them).  Apperntly he did this and could not get them balanced
untill
they sooted up again.  The carbon forms a good seal and makes setting
the idle
easy.  Twin carbs are easy if you do one, before doing the other, so you
have
a refrence to put them back together with.  I you make note of the
diferent
numbers on all the diferent parts floats ect.  my car had two diferent
HS4's
and hence is not easy too balance.  You probebly find the number to be
difernt
by one.  You can get kit's to rebuild them, with diferent levels of
rebuild in
mind, ranging from just a jet, to jet, float, butterfly, ect.  Go for
the SU's
there more fun, easy, and thereticly present less resistance to are,
thus you
should get better proformace.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot