Re: Towing Spitfire : Uhaul Car Dolly

To: Spitfire15@prodigy.com ( CHRISTOPHER J REILLY)
Subject: Re: Towing Spitfire : Uhaul Car Dolly
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 17:47:05 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Greetings fellow listers,

I have been real busy lately, can't tell you how many times i had to dump
The List folder because I couldn't get through the 500 to 1000 messages. Oh
well, the holidays are here, giving me time to catch up...

Chris from Utah wants to know about using a tow dolly to move a Spitfire.

I feel if the car you are moving has been on the road within the past year
or two, and you are going a short, slow distance, you will be OK. If not, I
would seriously rethink this.

My rule of thumb is to use the Ryder equipment for any move other than
across town. Here's what I always think about when the subject of towing
comes up.

I would tow the car backwards. Putting the rear on the dolly seems a lot
easier than removing the driveshaft. If you have to tow the car with the
rear rolling, you will have to disconnect the driveshaft at the diff, and
hang it clear somehow. If you can not get the driveshaft to hang safely,
you have to remove it.

I would want to repack the wheel bearings on the axle that will be
spinning. If the car has not been driven in years, having a wheel bearing
go under tow would ruin your day. Since no one will be in the Spit, you
might not hear it going, and not realize it until it's to late. Make sure
you have good tires running on the ground as well.

Make a check for loose parts. All my cars I have moved lost parts. Luckily,
they were on the floor (or ramp) of the trailer. I wrote the article for
the VTR on transporting a non-running LBC, (Shameless plug, I know)

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/autotrailer.html

and I have received many emails from folks who lost all sorts of stuff.
Using a tow dolly, most anything that falls off is gone forever.

I would go slow, and stop often and do a walk around. Feel the lug nuts for
heat. Are the brakes dragging?

If you have wire wheels, make sure they are reasonably true, and the
knockoffs are TIGHT.

Another thing about renting trailers. The prices will fluctuate greatly
based on supply and demand. Call U-haul and Ryder. See if you can bargain.
Ask if you can get a better price if you chose to do the move on a
different day. You will be surprised at the variance.

Helen and I wish all on the list the happiest of holidays. May boxes with
the names STANPART and LUCAS lay under your Christmas tree (or whatever
symbolic whatever you may do at this time of year!)

 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/
 TR250  CD8096 L                  A Little Town In
 TR250  CD1074 L                  Connecticut, USA