Re: Towing Spitfire : Uhaul Car Dolly

To: CHRISTOPHER J REILLY <Spitfire15@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Towing Spitfire : Uhaul Car Dolly
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 18:43:11 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

CHRISTOPHER J REILLY wrote:

> All;
>
> I know this discussion comes up from time to time and the consensus
> is that the Ryder Trailer is the best option for towing a Spitfire.
> I will be towing a '70 Spitfire with my '68 Lemans using a Uhaul car
> dolly.  I ruled out the full trailer due to overall weight concerns
> and the need to renet both trailer and truck for Ryder and UHaul.
> Uhaul has confirmed this should work.  Any tips for a first time
> tower ? I plan to wire up a pigtail to tie into the taillights of the
> car before I go to pick it up.  Any experiences others may have had
> with this method of transporting a Spitfire would be appreciated.
>
> Chris in Utah
> '78 Spitfire
> '68 Lemans ( tow vehicle )
> '68 Scout ( BIG paperweight )

  Chris,
Let me weigh in on the side of picking up all 4 wheels.  As previously
stated, too many things can go wrong when the parts are moving.  Without
being in the car to witness the sounds, a simple malfunction could turn
catastrophic and ruin your whole trip.

Also, it is true that Uhaul and others prefer not to rent trailers by
themselves.  They want to save them for people who are moving stuff and
their car at the same time.  Certain times of the year, they even refuse
to rent the trailer alone regardless of price.

One final thought, if you plan on towing the Spit on a regular basis,
lightweight 2-wheel trailers are ideal purchases for the little Spits.  I
bought mine for $400.00.  It is well worth the expense.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit