Re: spitfire coil info needed

To: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Subject: Re: spitfire coil info needed
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:00:23 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Charlie B. wrote:

> Joe, Richard, et al,
>
> After dealing with quite a few Spits, I've never seen a stock ballast
> resistor mounted on the fire wall next to the coil. Depending on the
> year, there was a drive resistor that was part of the electronic
> ignition. It was ususlly mounted to one of the alternator or air pump
> bolts.
>
> Are we sure that it's really a ballast resistor, or is it the capacitor
> that's attached to the "+" coil terminal to suppress radio interference?
> If it is indeed a ballast resistor, it could have been installed by a
> well intentioned DPO. I've got a '73 Mk IV/1500 and its ballast resistor
> is wrapped in the port side engine bay wiring harness.
>
> Hope that clears up the muck,
> Charlie B.

Charlie,
I'm not sure where it's located, but the Haynes book does in fact show the
Ballast
resistor as a stock item in the MkIV.
It is always a possibility that on any particular car the circuit could have
been
changed.  That's why it is important to look before assuming one way or the
other.
Those Electronic ignition systems are too expensive to risk a guess.

Joe Curry

P.S. Apparantly the 1500 series went away from the resistor in favor of
resistive
wire for ballast. (that also according to the Haynes manual)