Re: spitfire coil info needed

To: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Subject: Re: spitfire coil info needed
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 21:25:27 -0800
Cc: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Charlie B. wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I'm not sure if the Spitfire ever had a ballast resistor mounted on the
> fire wall. I've just never seen one there. I've also never seen one
> on anything earlier than the Mk IV. I suppose on the early MK IVs there
> could have been a fire wall mounted ballast resistor, but beginning in
> 1973 they were tucked into the wiring harness.

I concur with your observation.  Most of my Spit experiences are with those
manufactured
prior tp 1969.  I have net seen any Ballast resistors on any of those either.
Nor does
Haynes indicate there were any.  As for the MkIV, all I can go by is the
Schematic, and
it says nothing about where it is mounted.  The only thing that Haynes says
about the
resistor is, "Later vehicles are fitted with a 6 volt coil coupled with a 6
volt ballast
resistance in series.  Initially, the ballast took the form of a separate unit,
whereas
later vehicles have the ballast resistor as a resistance wire built into the
wiring
harness feed supply to the coil."

> I'm running a Crane XR700 and an after market 12v. coil, with the
> ballast resistor wire bypassed, on both my Spits. So far I've had no
> problems with my Crane units. The Crane unit doesn't care if the ballast
> is external or internal to the coil. Other units . . . I'm not so sure.
> The Crane instructions do indicate that if you're using a non-ballasted
> coil, external resistance must be used.

As am I.  That appears to be the correct installation as stated in the book
that came
with the unit.  I have looked high and low but can't seem to locate the
booklet.  I know
there is a warning because I spent quite a long time making sure which type I
had before
installing it.

The GT6 engine I have has an external ballast resistor attached to the coil
itself.

Now I can't even remember who it is that initally asked the question.

Regards,
Joe Curry