Re: spitfire coil info needed

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: spitfire coil info needed
From: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 17:07:10 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe,

I'm not sure if the Spitfire ever had a ballast resistor mounted on the
fire wall. I've just never seen one there. I've also never seen one
on anything earlier than the Mk IV. I suppose on the early MK IVs there
could have been a fire wall mounted ballast resistor, but beginning in
1973 they were tucked into the wiring harness.

I'm running a Crane XR700 and an after market 12v. coil, with the
ballast resistor wire bypassed, on both my Spits. So far I've had no
problems with my Crane units. The Crane unit doesn't care if the ballast
is external or internal to the coil. Other units . . . I'm not so sure.
The Crane instructions do indicate that if you're using a non-ballasted
coil, external resistance must be used.

Charlie B.