Re: tr8 engine originally made by GM

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: tr8 engine originally made by GM
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 12:52:03 -0500 "Re: tr8 engine originally made by GM" (Feb 19, 9:41am)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> Subject: Re: tr8 engine originally made by GM
> Doug,
> I'll concede that fact, as all GM engines were developed (and I guess
> continue to be) by the engine group.  After all, that is one of the
> benefits of having a multi faceted corporation.  But, Based on the fact
> that the engine looks more like other earlier Buick engines than others
> in the GM fleet, I'd guess that the design was more Buick in derivation
> than other GM models.  Also, the engine has always been "considered" a
> Buick product even though it was used in other divisions.  Much as the
> 350 is a Chevy although highly utilized by other GM divisions.  I'd like
> to know if your dad shares that feeling.
>
> Regards,
> Joe
[snip]

Joe,

What you say is correct, I was just pointing out that the original
design is from the core engineering staff rather than the division.
>From what I understand, the engines were designed to a spec requested
by a particular division, and then "sold" to other divisions.
Therefore, the 215 engine would be billed as a Buick engine.

I remember buying one of the first Special Skylarks with the 215
engine in it. My mother loved the car. Funny thing about it, it had
a metric speedometer in it for some reason. We sold it later to buy a
Caddy, but when I my got my license, I asked about getting it back.
Unfortunately, the people we sold it to carried dogs around in the
back. Made a complete mess of the car, as well as leaving an odor
that couldn't be eliminated. Decided not to get the car after all.

Cheers,

Doug
dmitchel@ismi.net
dmitchel@ford.com