New lister, query on TR6 jacking

To: <johnw@wrq.com>
Subject: New lister, query on TR6 jacking
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 21:29:51 +0100
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
John
Many people use the diff for lifting as it is central. That does not mean
it is a wise thing to do. There's a risk you might pop the diff mounting
bolts through the top of the chassis. Either lift the car progressively one
side at a
time, or use a stout piece of timber across a trolley jack to the chassis
extensions and support the vehicle on axle stands as soon as you can.
Concerning the door fit, I'd be inclined to listen very carefully during
the jacking process. Any adverse creaking or grunting type noises and let
it down quickly.
The fact that the door gap is "V" suggests to me that the rear tub is not
properly mounted or the door hinges are out of horizontal alignment - or
both, and this poses the question WHY?
Is there any evidence of the chassis or rear extensions having been
repaired? If the gap is closing up when you jack the car, this suggests
more than acceptable chassis weave. I think I'd want to have a very good
look under the car with a powerful lamp and with it being raised on a drive
on lift. centre column vehicle lift. On a centre column lift, if its raised
very gently, you should be able to see the gap closing or opening up or
insert your thumbnail in the gap and see if you can feel it being pinched -
or not. Try this first, and then come back to the list for our collective
thinking.
John Macartney
Now in the same museum as the cars he sold when they were new