Re: New lister, query on TR6 jacking

To: <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: Re: New lister, query on TR6 jacking
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 08:10:14 +0100
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

----------
> From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
> To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
> Cc: johnw@wrq.com; triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: New lister, query on TR6 jacking
> Date: 04 April 1998 23:03
>
> jonmac wrote:
> >
> > John
> > Many people use the diff for lifting as it is central. That does not
mean
> > it is a wise thing to do. There's a risk you might pop the diff
mounting
> > bolts through the top of the chassis....(snip)...

Justin wrote

> I would differ with you on this...
>
> When you jack up the differential... you are NOT jacking up the mounting
> studs... you are jacking up the BUSHED differential... which spreads the
> weight across the structure very nicely... with little stress on the
> studs themselves...  In edition, there is not much SHEER strain on them
> when lifting.  (snip)
>
> Jacking by the differential is safe.  Safe for the car, safe for the guy
> under the car.  My humble opinion...  others are welcome to comment.

jonmac replies

Justin
I agree with your arguments in principle. However, I can only reflect on
STI's own policies in its Coventry and London Service Departments. The
vehicle lifts were either centre column hydraulic units or drive-on lifts
with separate parallel lifting rails. All the trolley jacks were parked in
strategic places and alongside them in racks were identified front and rear
'spreaders' labelled Herald, GT6, TR etc. These were available to dealers
as a recognised service tool and fitted in the bowl of a trolley jack to
engage on the chassis outriggers or extensions.
Any fitter seen using a trolley jack direct to the diff without a
'spreader' lost his 'bonus' for the week! I speak from experience - and the
memory of it still smarts after all these years.
Regards
John