Re: TR6 - Brake Warning light

To: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 - Brake Warning light
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 22:55:39 GMT
Dan writes...

>As silly as this sounds, there is a good reason for it.  Hopefully, you will
>never see the brake warning switch operate, but the low oil pressure switch
>operates every time you turn the key on until the engine is up to speed.  By
>wiring the lights in series, the driver has the opportunity to check both
>bulbs for operability every time he turns on the key.  You should be in the
>habit of looking to see if both lights come on - otherwise, the bulbs could
>fail and you would never know it.  If the bulbs should fail and you get a real
>brake warning or low oil pressure, you would not get the indication and a lot
>of damage could be done.

He he...I really hate this circuit.  I confess I've modified mine to
something more conventional.  Oops...a CDO! :-)

The factory setup is running two 12 volt bulbs in series which is just
too darn dim to get my attention.  You can't substitute 6 volt bulbs
because sometimes the brake bulb gets 12.  Yet the O.P. lamp *never*
sees 12 volts and never illuminates properly.

I also don't like the idea of having my only <in a Spit> oil pressure
indicator relying on the integrity of a second bulb.  The way I'm
wired now I still get an OP bulb check on startup which is what I
really care about.

The brake failure lamp, IMHO, is of little value.  For it to actuate
you need to step on the pedal and by then you already know! :-)

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits