Re: TR6 - Brake Warning light

To: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 - Brake Warning light
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 01:55:09 GMT
Dan <who's probably sorry he came back> writes...

>A lot of it has to do with your driving style, and how sensitive you are to
> changes in your car.  Keep in mind that these circuits were designed for
> Mr. and Mrs. Everyman, not just for super enthusiasts like you and me :)

Ha!  Okay...point taken.  Today all cars have bulb check and brake
fail circuits and I understand the safety issue.  Still, I believe
that Triumph took the cheapest and most primitive path available to
implement these requirements where for a few pennies more they might
have saved some customers the price of a new engine.  Not so big a
deal in a TR6 with a real oil pressure gauge perhaps, but us Spit guys
have no backup. :-(

>If I were to make the changes you did, I believe I would have added a second
>oil pressure warning light, tied directly between the white wire and the oil
>pressure switch, and placed it in the same hole as the original.  The original
>light then, I would have tied up under the dash somewhere out of sight but
>readily accessible.

I'm hooked up essentially the same way but I've removed the original
series circuit.  I'm reluctant to double the load across the O.P.
switch without knowing it's rating.  I don't expect it to burn up...I
just don't want to shorten it's life.  Seems silly I know, but I've
already had one of these puppys fail in the open position and it was
less than two years old.  Not genuine lucas BTW, but a UK brand X
sender.

> After given enough time to think about it, we might even come up with
> a better way yet.

He he...we can change it but then we're *both* DPOs! :-)

>Dan Masters,
>Alcoa, TN

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits