TR4 Chassis Numbers

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Art Kelly" <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Subject: TR4 Chassis Numbers
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 20:04:26 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi

I am fairly new to the list.  I have been hanging back, reading and
learning.  I have been looking for some time for an early TR4 (with SU
carbs) that is running and looks OK for weekend local driving and will be a
good frame off project in 4-5 years when I retire.  Why is it always 4-5
years no matter how many years go by.  I have looked a few cars so far.

I just came back from another 250 mile trip, this time, to look at a 1962
TR4 that I could get excited about.  The external body and paint have been
worked with good quality craftsmanship.  The engine was rebuilt by a local
mechanic and seems well done. The transmission has no symptoms.

In contrast, the interior and dash except for the seats are original and
very beat looking.  The steering wheel is from some triumph but not a TR4.
It has only 2 horizontal spokes and they are black molded
"plastic/Bakelite".  The only rust I can find is in the firewall/footwell
and drivers floor pan area in the inside of the car.  The engine compartment
has been painted with some sort of thick black paint in the "corresponding
rusty" areas over the footwell.  These areas still seem firm.  The
windshield rubber gasket is dried out as old toast with some indications of
bubbled paint at the edge of the old rotten gasket.

It seems to me that this car, at the right price, is a good bet for my
target requirements.  Any thoughts from you guys would be appreciated by
this novice.  There are a lot of small "do-able" projects that I can do over
the next couple of years without taking the car off the road.

Ya da da, ya da da....  Here's my real question....   The chassis number on
the body is about 500 numbers higher than the commission number and engine
which are within 20 of each other.  Is this possible??  There is some
evidence of spot welding  and what seems like none original seams in the
engine compartment where the  passenger side footwell protrudes, as a box
shape into the compartment.   This is also the part that carries the
chassis/body number.  Is this a big problem???.  I'm guessing that the body
guy welded in a footwell ceiling from a "parts" car and moved the chassis
number plate with it.

Thanks for any good advice you can share.

Brian Sanborn
1962 TR4  Wannabe
sanborn@net1plus.com