Re: TR4 Chassis Numbers

To: sanborn@net1plus.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Chassis Numbers
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 19:29:34 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> In contrast, the interior and dash except for the seats are original
> and very beat looking.  The steering wheel is from some triumph but
> not a TR4. It has only 2 horizontal spokes and they are black molded
> "plastic/Bakelite".

Sounds like you have an early spitfire or herald steering wheel on
the car.  The steering columns are the same.  Steering wheels are
more or less swappable.

> It seems to me that this car, at the right price, is a good bet for
> my target requirements.  Any thoughts from you guys would be
> appreciated by this novice.  There are a lot of small "do-able"
> projects that I can do over the next couple of years without taking
> the car off the road.

I tend to agree with your evaulatin.

> Ya da da, ya da da....  Here's my real question....   The chassis
> number on the body is about 500 numbers higher than the commission
> number and engine which are within 20 of each other.  Is this
> possible??  There is some evidence of spot welding  and what seems
> like none original seams in the engine compartment where the
> passenger side footwell protrudes, as a box shape into the
> compartment.   This is also the part that carries the chassis/body
> number.  Is this a big problem???.  I'm guessing that the body guy
> welded in a footwell ceiling from a "parts" car and moved the
> chassis number plate with it.

Its not uncommon for the numbers to be seperated like that.  My TR4A
chassis # is 355 off of the engine # and 287 off of the body #.  Mine
has also been verified accurate by my BMIHT that I just got
yesterday.

Have fun with your decision!!

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Waiting for garage space to start teardown)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Suspension just about ready to install)