Re: TR4 Chassis Numbers

To: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Chassis Numbers
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 17:11:52 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sat, 11 Jul 1998, Brian Sanborn wrote:

> "plastic/Bakelite".  The only rust I can find is in the firewall/footwell
> and drivers floor pan area in the inside of the car.  The engine compartment
> has been painted with some sort of thick black paint in the "corresponding
> rusty" areas over the footwell.  These areas still seem firm.  The
> windshield rubber gasket is dried out as old toast with some indications of

Ah, yes.  My TR4 is badly rusted in the same spot.  It's got a triple
(maybe quadruple) cause for rust:  dirt sprayed up by wheel, brake fluid
spilled by owner, water & gunk dribbled inside by scuttle drain, and water
on drivers' feet.  (see the damage @ www3.bc.sympactico.ca/walker/ )

It is quite a job to fix it all, but nothing really spectacular is
required.

> Ya da da, ya da da....  Here's my real question....   The chassis number on
> the body is about 500 numbers higher than the commission number and engine
> which are within 20 of each other.  Is this possible??  There is some
> evidence of spot welding  and what seems like none original seams in the
> engine compartment where the  passenger side footwell protrudes, as a box
> shape into the compartment.   This is also the part that carries the
> chassis/body number.  Is this a big problem???.  I'm guessing that the body
> guy welded in a footwell ceiling from a "parts" car and moved the chassis
> number plate with it.

It may not be an original chassis- in my mind, that doesn't matter a whit-
so long as it's not rusty.  However it's also totally possible that the
numbers are original (you can get ahold of BMIHT to find out for sure)

I have a replacement chassis on my TR4 and I don't care.  At least I don't
have to worry about it ;-)

-Malcolm
'62 TR4 CT10339L