Re: TR4 Chassis Numbers

To: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Chassis Numbers
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 21:20:06 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Art Kelly <ArthurK101@aol.com>
On Sat, 11 Jul 1998, Brian Sanborn wrote:

> Ya da da, ya da da....  Here's my real question....   The chassis number on
> the body is about 500 numbers higher than the commission number and engine
> which are within 20 of each other.  Is this possible??  There is some
> evidence of spot welding  and what seems like none original seams in the
> engine compartment where the  passenger side footwell protrudes, as a box
> shape into the compartment.   This is also the part that carries the
> chassis/body number.  Is this a big problem???.  I'm guessing that the body
> guy welded in a footwell ceiling from a "parts" car and moved the chassis
> number plate with it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "chassis nummber plate".  You should have a
Commission Number plate showing the car's commission number (serial
number), a body number plate showing the body's serial number, and serial
numbers stamped on the engine, gearbox, and rear axle.

It isn't unusual for all these serial numbers to be fairly far apart.
Each of the major componants (chassis, body, engine, gearbox, rear axle)
was manufactured in various locations and shipped to the final assembly
point.  Parts were grabbed out of the bins or off the rack or off the
truck and assembled into complete cars without any attempt to match up
serial numbers.  There wasn't any reason to do so.

My own TR4 is commission number CT3154LO, body number 1845CT, engine
CT3479E, rear axle CT3552.  The gearbox (CT15253) is a replacement from a
much later car.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net