RE: blocked mail ISP problems

To: Victor Michael <vmichael@enteract.com>
Subject: RE: blocked mail ISP problems
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:08:27 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "'Cwn74@aol.com'" <Cwn74@aol.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Victor Michael wrote:

> There is a way to selectively filter your email on any field by using a
> program called PROCMAIL.
> For example, you could refuse all email from earthlink except for
> mysister@earthlink.com.
> I won't get into on the list, so if you're interested in more info, ask your
> ISP or send me an email directly.
> Your ISP would need to support this, however.

I am an ISP, so I'm famiar with procmail.  Trouble is, procmail runs under
UNIX. It's good for someone who uses UNIX shell access and UNIX-based mail
programs like elm or pine, but that accounts for only about 10% of all
Internet users these days.  Most ISPs don't even provide UNIX logins at
all any more, because the vast majority of users don't want it.

For the average Internet user who has only PPP access, the best solution
is to use a mail program like Eudora Pro (or similar) that has
sophisticated filtering capability.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net