Re: Don't let it happen to you!

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Don't let it happen to you!
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 01:14:46 -0700
Cc: "Gauthier, Dave" <Dave.Gauthier@nike.com>, "\"'<triumphs@autox.team.net>'\" <" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Malcolm Walker wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
>
> > 2.    The Club should not be your only theft deterrent.
>
> Given that the entire steering column and wheel can be removed without
> much fuss on my TR4- I'm not going to buy a Club.

I recall an article I read about 25 years ago, purportedly an interview
with a reformed car thief. His one remark about club-like devices was:

"It would take about a half-hour to go through a case-hardened 3/4"
piece of steel, so clubs look indestructable. Wrong. It takes about 30
seconds to go through the rim of the steering wheel and disengage the
thing." Leave it to a thief to be thinking out of the box. <smile>

> A pit bull, maybe... or
> I'll lace the drivers' seat with explosives...

Always remember to disable before entering, eh? <g>

The real message of the car thief was that the surest way to prevent
theft was to shut off the fuel supply. The gist of his thinking was that
any thief can disable locks, and get by the most sophisticated of
electrical deterrent systems simply by buying one himself and figuring
out how it works. But, a car that starts and runs long enough for the
thief to think, "time to leave," and then quits, has him worried. That
indicates a problem with the car that he won't want to take time to
diagnose. A professional will abandon the car at that point.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....