Re: Don't let it happen to you!

To: Romano Kroemer <romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Don't let it happen to you!
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 00:24:55 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Romano Kroemer wrote:

> >out how it works. But, a car that starts and runs long enough for the
> >thief to think, "time to leave," and then quits, has him worried. That
> >indicates a problem with the car that he won't want to take time to
> >diagnose. A professional will abandon the car at that point.
> >

> .. what about a hidden cut-out switch for the ignition, taking the rotor
>   with you or switching the spark plug leads around? Any ideas what thieves
>   thing when the car does not start at all?

Well, this guy was talking about professionals. All the above would
probably deter kids and thrill-seekers of all ages.... <smile> But, it
was apparent from the article that a thief who has an order for a car,
or wants it because it carries a high price on the parts market, is
going to know all he needs to know about the car. As far as a cut-out
switch, that's about 15 seconds for a good thief to beat--hot-wire. If
the thief wants the car, he'll have a spare rotor with him. Switching
the spark plugs around? Fixed in a heartbeat, providing one knows the
car.

What does a thief think if the car won't start at all? Probably,
"someone doesn't want this stolen, and I'm going to steal it...."
<smile>

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....