Re: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names

To: SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU
Subject: Re: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:09:18 -0700
Cc: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Shawn Loseke wrote:

> So how do you feel about Rover (the whole range) and the MGF?
> -------------
> Original Text
> From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, on 10/13/98 1:28 AM:
> In a word, "Blasphemy"

I haven't seen the MGF, so I can't pass judgment on that.  The Rovers
however are still being manufactured in the same way they have always
been  and since their production has never been allowed to lapse, it has
remained a continuation of pretty much the same type vehicles.  So I am
OK with that.

However, it is doubtful that anybody can ever get back to what makes our
Triumphs truely unique in light of today's safety and emissions
standards.  And too many years have passed for somebody to take up where
they left off.

Like John, I believe that unless the cars were being manufactured in
England by people who were associated with the Real Triumph company,
they will just be new German cars with no true identity. (Good, maybe,
but not true Triumphs.

I liken this to a Korean firm buying an old trusted American Radio
Maker's name and proceeding to pump throw-away computers onto the
unsuspecting US parket.

Regards,
Joe Curry
--