Re: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names
From: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (G. Wiederholl)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:23:14 +0200
jonmac, cool down,

what´s wrong if BMW considers the TRIUMPH marque as someting valuable which
deservs a revival while the no longer existing all British  motor industry and
British buyers didn´t?

Was it better to see HONDAS with a TRIUMPH badge on it?

Where are the all British investors asking BMW for selling the marque to them
and willing to make the all British new Triumph? We all would look forward to
it.

But after all I know from (older) motor magazins BMW would probably prefer
Austin-Healy. It´s because they think that TRIUMPH has for some reasons a
damaged reputation and that it would be hard to sell a car with this name in
numbers that will bring back the money.

Gerhard Wiederholl

P.S.1:
How can a car be a damned hun???

P.S.2:
It´s all Rover now!

jonmac schrieb:

> Guys
>
> I'd appreciate your views. As many of you may have seen over the last 24
> or so hours, there's been some speculation on the British Cars list on the
> revival of Austin Healey and possibly Triumph.
>
> It appears from the extensive rumour that this(these) cars might well be
> badge engineered cars which are essentially BMW's to be built (?) at
> Spartanburg.
>
> Marque loyalties apart, does anyone have a view to either of these
> illustrious British sports car names appearing on a car which in all
> truth is German in its origin.
>
> I know I do. I'd rather their names were left as a memory rather than
> adorn a vehicle which is essentially a damned Hun! It's as bad as
> building a replica Messerschmitt and called it a new world Spitfire.
>
> Sorry - but that's the way I feel and if Doctor Hassellkuss or Berndt
> Pischetsrieder read this view, I guess I'll find my employment at
> HMC a thing of the past. Giving up Rolls Royce to BMW was bad enough
> but putting a British name on a German car beggars belief. Anyone got a
> rope and a high beam. I might need it!
>
> John Mac

ÐÏࡱ