Re: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 13:11:36 +0200
Cc: 1-Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
John,
I don't really fancy that idea either...
Just as I didn't like that they [Rover Group?] put MG on some
souped up Euroboxes like the Metro etc. That one would have
been more appropriate to be called a Triumph if one should be
true to the history of the two marques, right? Triumph actually
did live on producing nice family sedans [and the odd sports
car to sell abroad] while MG [mostly] made non-sedans... So the
other way around would have been more appropriate I think.

And the thought of present day Americans building a modern
German designed automobile and then badging/selling it as a
classic British Marque: Triumph, Austin Healey, MG, Sunbeam
or whatever else BMW bought when they bought Rover Group, is
a pity. And probably only meant to fool the general American
public... [Since us EUropeans won't be fooled by such a simple
sales gimmick, right?]

And - since us Swedes didn't take part in those wars You Brits
and Germans seems to like doing now and then I can say this
above without any historical loads or biases on my shoulders...
I don't have to use names like Limeys, Huns, Yanks or anything,
I just think it's a pity to mix up a nice origin in an effort
to sell modern cars. [In fact we've been in peace nearly as
long as the USA have been in existence - since the last 184 years
or so... The last "war" was a minor skirmish with the Norwegians
in 1814...]

Just my tuppence... YMMV
/Odd

--