Re: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names
From: Harris Goodkind <tr_250@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 07:30:14 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Have you seen pictures of the new Mini???
German, perhaps, but still nifty.  And does it ever look British!!!!
Give it a chance--Automobile magazine claims BMW is working on a new
sports car that could be Z3 based (I know, UGLY, but big-engined,
rear-drive, two seater, much like our beloved TR-series cars).  The
possible names for the car are Austin-Healey 3000 (I think they should
leave that alone, perhaps Austin-Healey 3500--it  would have a 3.5
liter V6) or the Triumph TR9!
With the popularity of the new Beetle and the trend towards
retro-modern cars, I think the whole idea is kind of neat.
Call me crazy, if you will.

---Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> wrote:

> In a word, "Blasphemy"
>
> Joe
>
> jonmac wrote:
> >
> > Guys
> >
> > I'd appreciate your views. As many of you may have seen over the
last 24
> > or so hours, there's been some speculation on the British Cars
list on the
> > revival of Austin Healey and possibly Triumph.
> >
> > It appears from the extensive rumour that this(these) cars might
well be
> > badge engineered cars which are essentially BMW's to be built (?) at
> > Spartanburg.
> >
> > Marque loyalties apart, does anyone have a view to either of these
> > illustrious British sports car names appearing on a car which in all
> > truth is German in its origin.
> >
> > I know I do. I'd rather their names were left as a memory rather
than
> > adorn a vehicle which is essentially a damned Hun! It's as bad as
> > building a replica Messerschmitt and called it a new world Spitfire.
> >
> > Sorry - but that's the way I feel and if Doctor Hassellkuss or
Berndt
> > Pischetsrieder read this view, I guess I'll find my employment at
> > HMC a thing of the past. Giving up Rolls Royce to BMW was bad enough
> > but putting a British name on a German car beggars belief. Anyone
got a
> > rope and a high beam. I might need it!
> >
> > John Mac
>
> --
> "If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort."
>
>   -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer

==
Harris Goodkind
Hanford, California