Re: TR4A What is right price?

To: Cliff Hansen <chansen@anr.net>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4A What is right price?
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 21:50:32 -0400
Message text written by Cliff Hansen
>Tony,

>A couple of additional things to check (which you probably already
>know about :-)

>1) Frame - trailing arm mounts and front lower wishbone mounts.
>Rust/damage in these places is not easy to repair.

     I took a quick look at these places without removing
     the wheels.  At first glance they look fine....  I know the
     difficulty of repair of these.  That is why my current
     car is off the road for so long $$$$$.

>2) Condition of chrome bits.  If they're very nice then consider
>this a great find.  4A's have lots of chrome that can be pricey
>to restore/replace.

     The chrome is not praticularly pitted at all.  No dents in the
     fender beads either.

>Check the edges of the hood and the trunk lid.  Hoods show a
>tendency to bend and fail about 16" from the windscreen.  Trunk
>lids were skinned by folding up the edges, providing a place to trap
>water and then rust.

     I will have to check the hood more, nothing jumped out at me.
     The trunk lid also looked ok, and I did check that more thoroughly.

>4) Floors, sills, A and B posts, the usual.

     I know all about this stuff.  I gave the bottom rear parts of the
front
     fenders a close look, similarly the front parts of the rears.  Also no
     bubbles/bondo around the tail lights.

So, this does look to be pretty sound:  what price?

-Tony