Re: TR4A What is right price?

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4A What is right price?
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 07:57:46 -0400
Message text written by Malcolm Walker
>Is it the stock steering wheel?  I think my switch canceler didn't work
>because I have a MotoLitaCopy steering wheel which ends up being "farther
>in" on the steering column than the stock one.
<

No, it is definitely not a stock wheel.  I am not sure of the brand, but
it is definitely motolita-esque.  Not wood, though.

Well, While I have access to $8000, that does not make it the right
price for the car.  It is just that I find it hard to pin the price
correctly
when these cars are for sale so infrequently. It is not as if there are
10 other identical cars nearby to compare.  This car is very clean,
and well maintained.  Original in most respects, but as I said, not
the original engine, but a nearly correct.  It has obviously had a
careful restoration by a decent mechanic in the past.  There
is no evidence of present/past rust.

I figure a $10,000 TR4A should be in the running in a concours
event.  Prices drop from there according to the cost to get it there.
It does have high mileage, but the restoration seems to have
taken care of most of that.

It probably would only cost another $2,000 to get it up to nearly
concours snuff.  Most of the paint is excellent.  Just 2 places:
a crack in the paint near the drivers door handle, and an OOPS
in the paint (paint smudge) on the trunk lid, but it partly obscured
by the luggage rack (apparently original).

Maybe $3000 to get it up to snuff (not that I will go that far since
my current one will be that nice when it is done, whenever that is).

So, I figure that the right price is $7000-$8000, is that reasonable or
stupid?

-Tony
(known for stupid purchases/plans)
(like my current restoration)