Sooty Rear End

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Sooty Rear End
From: "Janssen, Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 20:09:57 -0600
The following are two mail messages that I saved. Not a GT6 but my guess is
the solution is similar.
Good Luck
Lee Janssen
Mostly Dark Denver CO

Subject: TR6 Carb Jets - Where do you get them?

>I've been having some trouble with my Zenith Stromberg 175 CD's on my 1974
>TR6.  Symptoms include a slighty rich mixture that you just can't seem to
>adjust out.  Car runs fine but the exhaust smells strongly of petrol and
>the tailpipes stay quite black.
>
>After researching the problem (ie, talking to a friend who was once a
>mechanic at a Triumph dealership) he suggested I check the jets and make
>sure they are not worn.
>
>After checking the carbs,  I found the jet in the carb body is elongated
>(ie, they are no longer round).  My experience with SU's on the MGB has
>been if the jets are worn, the car will never run correctly so I assume the
>same is true for the Zenith.
>
>Where can I find the jets?  I've had no luck with the big three (TRF, Moss,
>and Vicky Brit) but I've heard they are available in the UK.  Does anyone
>know?

Try Apple Hydraulics at 800-882-7753,  I bought needles from them.  Their
brochure says they also stock jets.

Martin
73 TR6

From: "Terry Geiger" <tgeiger@hiwaay.net>
Subject: TR6 Carb Jets - Follow Up

Fellow Scions,

Thanks to all who responded on my question of where to find the carb jets
for my '74 TR6.  This people on this list are a great resource and I truly
appreciate everyone taking time to repond to my request.

I thought I'd summarize what I found out for the benefit of the list:

1.  Turns out Apple Hydraulics does carry them.  I talked to "Bob" (very
helpful and friendly) and the jets are $15.00 each.
2.  Despite what may have been said by some suppliers, the pressed in jet
is replaceable.  Apple Hydralics uses a brass honda valve guide (which Bob
offered to provide) to press the jets in and out.  The soft brass prevents
damage to the jet.

Here's the procedure outlined by "Bob" from Apple:
1.  Remove the carb fuel bowl, top cover damper cover and piston.
2.  Using the valve guide, drive the jet downward toward the fuel bowl.
Note the position of the jet (ie, how deep is it inset from the carb
throat) before tapping the old  jet out.
3.  Insert the new jet from the bottom of the carb.  Using the brass valve
guide, carefully tap the new jet into the same position as the old one.