Timing Wierdness...

To: fot@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Timing Wierdness...
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:33:39 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I've been playing with timing lights on my TR6... it's running better
now, but there's still a little "miss" on steady throttle - no doubt a
vacuum leak somewhere, but things are generally better.

And now the Triumph driving season marches toward the end-o-year... sniff.

At any rate, while poking around looking for reasons for some slight
mis-fires, I wound up placing the timing light pickup on each of the 6
spark plug leads to see if there was some wierdness going on there. I did
not find anything wrong - the spark is very good to all six swilinders.

I did observe something that was a little strange, however.

Cyls. 1 and 6 are 360 out of phase... so I figure that putting a timing
lite onto the plug wire for 6 should show up on the crank pulley with the
same timing... right?

Well, it looks like my cylinder 6 is about 4 degrees retarded from
cylinder 1. That is wierd. I changed to another distributor cap, thinking
that maybe my cap had some carbon tracking in there that was throwing
things off, but the indication was exactly the same with a brand-new cap.

Anybody have an educated guess as to why one cylinder might have the
ignition retarded by 4 degrees or so??? I know that VW did this on the
Type 1 to help cylinder 3 run a little cooler, but that was an air-cooled
engine... but a TR6???

Enquiring minds want to know. And TIA

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |