Re: Testing a TR3 generator

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Testing a TR3 generator
From: drew@pixar.com
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:49:43 -0800 "Re: Testing a TR3 generator" (Oct 28, 5:38pm)

Yesterday I sent out a message requesting info on one of the generator
test procedures and I want to thank everyone who responded. However
not all was well in generator land. After re-polarizing the thing and
jumpering the connectors, the voltages I read were between .4 and .8
volts. According to the manual this indicates a bad field and that
I should measure its resistance looking for a reading of 6.1 ohms.
Mine turned out to have a value of about 7.7 ohms which I thought was
close but after removing the gen. to take a closer look I noticed that
there was a lot of play in the rear armature bushing. I removed the
end plate and found that the bushing was all eaten away on one side
and that the armature had been rubbing on the field :-( Well to make
a long story short, I just ordered a rebuilt gen. from British Parts
Northwest.

Thanks again for all the help,
Drew

--