Re: TR-2,3,4A - Retard timimg for use with 92 octane gas?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-2,3,4A - Retard timimg for use with 92 octane gas?
From: "Power British Perfrormance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:03:37 -0500
Hi Tom,

Glad to see you were paying attention to the two different springs in the
dizzy.  A lot of

folks think the one is loose because it stretched or something.  You are
absolutely
correct in regard to the stock settings and function of the distributor.
Perhaps I should

have made myself clearer that I was speaking about making settings and
modifying parts
outside the normal parameters as specified by the manufacturer.

As far as changing advance weights, when I was using the word "weights" I was
simplifying
my statement just to make the point that other modifications to the distributor
may be
necessary.  You are correct in that you should not have any advance at idle.
If you want
your total timing to be 30 degrees, and your initial timing to be 4 degrees,
you need 26
degrees from the advance weights.  While you don't have to change the weights
themselves,
you need to change the springs and that
alone may not give you the results you want.  You may also need to alter the
pin that
contacts the upper portion of the dist. shaft - this acts as a stop at full
advance.  No,
this is not all textbook material as covered in the manual - find any racer
willing to
divulge all his secrets and buy him a beer - you'll want to be his friend for
sure! ;-)

As far as the chemistry, octane is a compound from the same family as propane,
butane,
hexane, methane, etc.  Its chemical formula is C8H18.  That is 8 carbon atoms
and 18
hydrogen atoms per molecule.  There are many chemical compounds in a gallon of
gasoline,
octane is just one of them. Your local library should have a number of volumes
on the
fundamentals of the internal combustion engine if you’d like to learn more.

Detonation, or pre-ignition as it is sometimes called, occurs when a small area
of the
combustion chamber reaches a temperature sufficient to ignite the air/fuel
mixture.
Usually, it is a carbon deposit on the valve that is what gets hot, but not
always.  The
MG’s used a cylinder head with a pointy area between the two valves - on hi-po
motors the
point is ground back to avoid a hot spot which may cause detonation.  Running a
lower
thermostat helps to keep the head cooler and reduces the chances of detonation.
 That’s
why racers do it.  Combustion efficiency actually goes up with heat, so the
engine is more

efficient at higher temperatures.  That is why new cars run hotter thermostats,
reverse
flow cooling, and composite intake manifolds.  If the head doesn’t detonate and
you can
keep the incoming air cooler, and therefore more dense, run the engine hotter.
21% thermal

efficiency is better than 20%, well, at least a little.  On the new Corvettes,
Chevrolet
now pumps the coolant into the heads first rather than into the block first for
this very
reason.

Around here, there are a lot of ads on TV for premium gasolines.  Read the fine
print down

at the bottom of the screen. They’ll say something like: "For cars that can
benefit from
higher octane gasoline."  Meaning that not all cars will run better with higher
octane.
The oil companies just want you to spend $1.30 instead of $1.10. I doubt you
could ever
remove enough variables to get a dyno to show any difference in a properly
prepared
engine.  The difference in milliseconds it takes to complete the combustion
process on one

type of fuel to another is splitting hairs between theoretical and empirical
science.
Bottom line is if you don’t need it, save your pennies. :-)

Regards,

Brian