Re: Power Upgrades

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Power Upgrades
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:33:58 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> >     Whoa, hoss... Whoa!  ....WHOA when I say "Whoa"!!!!!!!
>
> Greg,
>
> Neigh, neigh, my friend, stopping will NOT be a problem with this car!
>
> First of all, it is not being built for use on a race track. If it were, the
> design goals would be drastically different, and brake upgrades would be near
> the top of the list. On a road race course, brake improvements are often worth
> as much as horsepower improvements.

        Dan a lot of us fall victim to the bigger is better thing. Brakes
        in a hop-up situation are only one piece if the picture(I used brakes
        only as an example) In search for more power, people should consider
        that they ARE building a hybrid street/race car and should consider
        the "whole car" as a system and upgrade the entire vehicle along
        with the power train.

        I am reminded of the fellow I bought my SU carbs and manifold from.
        He was a hot rod weenie and was installing a 350 V8 in his TR4A.
        the motor was shorter than the TR's 4 banger which allowed him to move
        the motor back a bit from the stock set up. He then cut up
        much of the tub to route the headers. He installed a Corvette rear
        and suspension but left the front pretty much stock. He also used Vette
        brakes all around. From what I heard, second hand, The car was a
        beast to drive, and would like to swap front for rear at the drop
        of a hat. Despite this he continued to drive the car until he
        really got into the gas one day and drove it into a tree. Under
        serious acceleration the car didn't answer the helm at all. Whe he
        hit the brakes the car was too light to take much advantage from
        the fat tires it was riding on. Granted TR frames are where much
        of the car's strength comes from, there is some strength that
        comes from the body. Of course since he chopped up much of the front
        end there wasn't a whole lot of protection when steel met wood.

        The car was ill conceived, poorly executed and came damn closed to
        killing it's owner.

        That is why I was concerned about considering the entire system.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois