Re: Power Upgrades

To: Tom Di Iulio <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Power Upgrades
From: stu bollen <stu.jo@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:33:59 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Tom Di Iulio wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>      I'm interested in the collective's opinions on power upgrades for
> my 76 TR6. While restoring the car, i'd like to check into some options
> for increasing horsepower. The engine currently has dual zenith cd-175's
> (original equipment). Engine was running well prior to dismantling car.
>     Some ideas I'd be looking for would outline a
> priority/complexity/cost list for the car. In other words, what would be
> the cheapest/easiest upgrades (spark plugs?) to the most
> expensive/complex (supercharger?)? With the body off and the
> chassis/running train completely exposed, I have a great opportunity to
> make the changes recommended by the group, while keeping the car as
> original as possible. Thanks,
> Tom Di Iulio
> 1976 TR6
> Denver, Co
Tom, assuming you don't have to pass smog where you live, what I would
do is first convert to electronic ignition (Crane or Petronix)and open
your plug gap to 0.040". I would raise CR by taking 0.060" off the head
and have the chambers balanced, ported and polishsd. Then instal headers
and a free flow exhaust. These are relatively cheap, easy things to
do.If you want to go further, change the cam. Despite bad press, the
Strombergs actually work well, and Webers at $1200 a pop are not worth
it unless you have a full race cam, larger valves etc.You may need to go
to richer needles. Or you could move to a place at sea level and pick up
20% more power for nothing!Just my 0.02 cents. Stu