Re: Cam for Triumph TR6

To: "Jeff Nathanson" <jeffn@msystech.com>, "Ronald A. Dowty" <rdowty@iso.net>
Subject: Re: Cam for Triumph TR6
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:33:16 -0600
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>       So, I really can't tell you
>       at this time whether it was a good decision or not. However
>       those people at BPNW claims that they have sold several hundred
>       without any complaints.

That "without any complaints" is inaccurate. I have a BPNW Road Rally
camshaft in my car. Back in 1993, when I bought it, I had to send it back
at least one (I think it was 2) because the locating groove was oversized.
If you've ever opened up a TR6 and pulled the camshaft, this area does not
get a very good supply of oil and forms a sort of grinding paste over time.
They checked stock and found them all oversize! They corrected that problem
by having all the ones in stock re-welded and re-cut, and presumably have
maintained this procedure through the years. I really like the grind
(although I can't tell you what it is), but it has always made a racket. I
have to readjust the valves all the time. I've put 10K on it, and I'm
running out of adjustment. I'm suspicious that I am loosing the lobes to
premature wear (equally across all 12?), but it still runs great. The
camshaft regrinds need to be properly hardened and I'm worried that's the
cause. For that reason, I'll be looking for a better quality unit soon!

Bob Kramer
Hill Country Triumph Club
rgk@flash.net