Re: TR7 water pump??

To: MOWOGMAN@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR7 water pump??
From: Bristol7@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 18:43:26 EDT

In a message dated 99-05-02 14:12:00 EDT, MOWOGMAN@aol.com writes:

<< Mine is leaking.  Coolant is coming out of the large slot on the block
below
 the bolt on pump housing (under the intake).  Is this in fact, as other car
 experience would suggest the graphite water pump seal?, or is the TR7 pump
 different?  I have the manuals and catalogs, although none is very clear
 about the pump to block relationship.  Is the pump a bear to extract?  Will
 good slide hammer do the trick? What about those other o rings down in
 there?, do they go bad a well?

 Car is an '80 Conv., 66,000 miles.

 thanks,
 John. >>

 John, from your description, your water pump is shot. I believe the
 likely components to fail are the *O* rings. I believe the graphite seal or
 pump shaft itself are less likely to fail but they can go too.. IMHO, since
 you must remove the pump to see what the problem is, it is just plain
 easier and best in the long run to replace the pump as a unit instead of
 trying to mess with the old one. It is a straight-forward job that is really
 only time consuming. You can remove the intake manifold with the carbs
 attached. Most often a slide hammer is required, however I have heard of
 folks who have been lucky to remove it without the slide hammer by
 levering it out. The most time consuming aspect of the job seemed to be
 replacing the pump cover. You need to use feeler guages and have a
 gasket with the correct thickness when putting the cover back on. Follow
 the ROM carefully on this.  I think the Triumph Repair Times manual
 suggets this whole job takes about 4 hours, however I believe that is
 optimistic for a backyard mechanic.  If you have additional questions
 you might try the TR7/8 List archive at: http://www.listquest.com
 or you might ask your question to the TR7/8 List at:
 TR7@mercury.lcs.mit.edu

 Best Regards,

 Kirk Yonker
 81 TR8 Fi Dhc Pod