Re: Wooden Dashes

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wooden Dashes
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 15:04:59 -0500
Martin Secrest wrote:

>Scrub off the old veneer with a good orbital sander, taking the dash down
>to the first layer of sub-lattice.  (Incidentally,  plywood has more
>strength than a solid piece of wood of the same size.)
>

>Martin Secrest
>73 GT6
>72 TR6

I am sure that plywood is stronger, but I have been toying with the
idea of planing a piece of mahogany down to proper thickness and making
my own dash.  Just what is the proper thickness, and would it be
foolhardy to think that solid mahogany (or walnut) at that thickness
would hold up?  Has anyone done this?  Also, I have a couple of ideas
about how to get perfect holes cut for the big instruments, but any
first hand experience would help a lot.

Tim Gaines
1980 Spitfire
1974 TR6