Re: Wooden Dashes

To: Ian Frearson <frearji@montevallo.edu>
Subject: Re: Wooden Dashes
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 15:43:14 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 4 May 1999, Ian Frearson wrote:

> Anybody know of a source for French Walnut veneer? And what about the color?
> That's been my biggest concern: getting that correct "honey" color. I don't
> want to blindly guess at which stain (if any) I need to use. Any
> suggestions?

Get yourself veneer with grain that you like, and cut out business-card
pieces (somewhere you can't use the wood, like where the gauges go, or
down one edge).  Label them and stain with whatever you can (don't go buy
gallons of every kind of stain; also, dab some water on the wood to see
what a straight varnish might do).  Punch a hole in them and thread onto a
piece of string for future reference.

There can be amazing variations in wood color just from a single tree;
finding the "right" color based on species takes more luck than skill.

As for French Walnut, I can't volunteer any sources.  However, see if
there is a hardwood dealer locally that you can go and bug; that's what I
did (ended up paying $40 for a stick of cocobolo, but that's another
story).  You might be able to get a roll end or some old stock that's the
right stuff.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm