Re: conversion to fuel injection

To: CCampb8169@aol.com
Subject: Re: conversion to fuel injection
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 08:04:52 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Heres a good question for all. How difficult would it be to convert a
carberated tr6 to fuel injection. I am dying to get that 150 hp. Cole

Cole,

Let me address this one.  I own a Home Market 150hp TR6.  At first I
thought it was the PI system that gave the engine that 150hp.  Later on I
discovered that was not true.  The PI is only one of the contributing
factors that go into the 150hp engine.  Other major factors are compression
ratio (9.5:1) and a better cam (longer duration, etc.).  With these two, a
set of Webers would be able to adequately supply fuel to your engine.

But back to your original question.  Difficult depends upon your mechanical
ability.  Most PI parts simply bolt on to the engine; no problem there
(Check the Bentley manual for a good exploded diagram of the PI system).
Problem is getting the parts.  They don't make them anymore.  You'd have to
get a PI system stripped off a junked car, which is possible. You would
have to run new fuel lines from the tank: a high pressure line from the PRV
and a return from the metering unit.  You would have to mod the tank to
have two fuel inlets into the top and move the outlet into the spare tire
well where the fuel filter and pump are located.  You would have to hookup
the throttle linkage to the pedal.  You could probably use the existing
choke cables.

You can do it.  You just have to be clear if you want the 150hp - no matter
what the configuration - or you want a Lucas PI system.

If you have more questions, please contact me.

Dave