Re: conversion to fuel injection

To: <dstauffa@csc.com>, <CCampb8169@aol.com>
Subject: Re: conversion to fuel injection
From: Cameron Greig <cameron@enterprise.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 99 11:19:03 +0100
Cc: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Dave wrote

>Heres a good question for all. How difficult would it be to convert a
>carberated tr6 to fuel injection. I am dying to get that 150 hp. Cole
>
>Cole,
>
>Let me address this one.  I own a Home Market 150hp TR6.  At first I
>thought it was the PI system that gave the engine that 150hp.  Later on I
>discovered that was not true.  The PI is only one of the contributing
>factors that go into the 150hp engine.  Other major factors are compression
>ratio (9.5:1) and a better cam (longer duration, etc.).  With these two, a
>set of Webers would be able to adequately supply fuel to your engine.
>
>But back to your original question.  Difficult depends upon your mechanical
>ability.  Most PI parts simply bolt on to the engine; no problem there
>(Check the Bentley manual for a good exploded diagram of the PI system).
>Problem is getting the parts.  They don't make them anymore.  You'd have to
>get a PI system stripped off a junked car, which is possible. You would
>have to run new fuel lines from the tank: a high pressure line from the PRV
>and a return from the metering unit.  You would have to mod the tank to
>have two fuel inlets into the top and move the outlet into the spare tire
>well where the fuel filter and pump are located.  You would have to hookup
>the throttle linkage to the pedal.  You could probably use the existing
>choke cables.
>
>You can do it.  You just have to be clear if you want the 150hp - no matter
>what the configuration - or you want a Lucas PI system.
>
>If you have more questions, please contact me.
>
>Dave

And after all that you still have to change your diff ratios!

My TR6 is a UK 150bhp car that was converted to webbers because it was
going to live in the US for a few years.The previous owner decided to do
this to get round the problem of using unleaded fuel .When I acquired the
car, I looked at returning it to it's original PI state.I spoke with lots
of people about this ,and have also been using the car regularly for the
past 3 months.I have decided to stay with the webbers,which have turned
out to be really good.The car start easily and has a steady tickover,the
performance is great and to my surprise the fuel economy can be
excellent,depending on how you drive.(best long run 31mpg,worst 20mpg)

I"ve changed my mind about webbers on 150bhp cars (40s,not 45s),I still
wouldn't recommend them on US cars unless the engine and diff are brought
up to 150bhp levels.The other important item to consider is the inlet
manifold and the linkages,mine came from Raceterations in the UK and are
beautifully made.The linkages are well engineered and the whole system
works as one,with no play.

My recommendation FWIW is to forget the PI and go for carbs,(you may
prefer SUs), but sort out all the other bits first and don,t forget the
diff.

Cameron
71 TR6