RE: stainless steel brake hoses on TR6

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>, "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: stainless steel brake hoses on TR6
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 11:08:02 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Just to clarify... by suggesting examining a piece of Aeroquip line in the
note below, I meant a piece of raw hose which does not have a hose end on
the end being examined. Unless you make your own hoses you may not have
access to this. If you go down to a supplier of SS/teflon hose and hose ends
you will be able to check it out there.

I think the reason the outer SS does not abrade the inner teflon layer is
that the two layers are a pretty close fit over the length of the hose. But
they are not bonded to each other, at least not hoses I used for my oil
pressure gauge line and clutch flex line (Aeroquip TFE Racing hose in sizes
-3 and -4). If you read the directions for installing reusable hose ends on
the high pressure hoses you will see that there is no real magic to
assembling the hoses. At least not the hoses with reusable ends. The
pre-made hoses have "crimped" ends which require a special machine to form
the crimp. For the reusable hose ends all you need are: hacksaw (!),
electrical tape, vise and the appropriate standard sized wrenches. Look in
any Aeroquip, Earl's, Goodridge catalog or the Pegasus catalog if you have
one of those for more info.

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---