RE: stainless steel brake hoses on TR6

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: stainless steel brake hoses on TR6
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:24:45 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"

I am not sure what the militants from the high mileage list are referring to
here. Here is my layman's take on this matter. Examining a piece of Aeroquip
TFE Racing hose you will observe that it consists of two layers. Inside is
the teflon "tube" which forms the fluid containment layer. Outside is the SS
"sheath" which forms the outer protective layer. If the teflon layer is
leaking, I cannot see how the SS layer can contain the fluid. Especially
brake fluid which is at pressures greater than 1000psi. Thus any leakage
should be evident in a visual inspection of the hose.

Of course I am assuming the car is not driven in an environment where the
hoses are so covered with road grit , dirt and salt as to make a visual
inspection useless.

Note: I am not an authority on SS/teflon lines. I have them on my car for
the brakes, oil pressure line and clutch hose. I keep them clean and inspect
regularly.

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---