RE: stainless steel brake hoses on TR6

To: "Keith S. Ehrlich" <kehrlich@dyax.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: stainless steel brake hoses on TR6
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:32:55 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Interesting theory, but it sounds pretty "anecdotal" or just a wild-a**
guess -- are there any real, documented failures of good quality SS lines to
back that up in any way?

I don't think most real braided SS lines are just a loosely fitting cover
over "soft" Teflon. If that were true wouldn't the stainless braid itself
abrade the line even more efficiently than any dirt? I thought the inner and
outer layers were always bonded together--at least in good quality SS lines.
At least one manufacturer (Paragon) uses a Kevlar inner liner between the
stainless and the Teflon. I can't imagine that mil-spec and/or aero-spec SS
lines would allow such a silly failure mode.

Some DOT approved lines are now available BTW. The Goodridge lines
advertised by Moss are supposedly DOT approved. (I not sure if they are US
Dot approved - the markings look like a "Euro-Dot" approval. If they're good
enough for the English MoT or (hopefully) the German TUV(?) I'll use 'em ...
and I do!

If anyone knows differently, please let me know!

I think most SS lines aren't DOT approved for the same reason many H4
Halogen conversions aren't approved. DOT is just too backwards to do it or
it's too much of a pain for the manufacturers...

Oh, and I agree with the nutballs that a simple visual inspection isn't
adequate... with any kind of older flex brake line... Replace 'em!

Chris Lillja
'66 TR4A
'74 Norton Commando 850
'71 Spit MKIV