RE: stainless steel brake hoses on TR6

Subject: RE: stainless steel brake hoses on TR6
From: "Andrew R. Lindberg" <andylindberg@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 19:56:33 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Some info and helpful hints on this subject from several years ago from
several List experts who advised me on this subject:

(1) from Berry Kercheval :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

These racing hoses can be expensive but will last forever and stand MUCH
more heat and pressure than my feet can generate.

I like to add some spiral plastic wrap (usually sold for bundling wires) to
prevent chafing of the braid.

(2) from cak@godzilla

I have many thousands of miles on my GT6+ with this conversion, with no
problems at all, and many positive benefits (mostly improved pedal feel). I
highly recommend it.

However, you must be aware of the maintenance issue; in particular, rubber
hoses usually give a good indication of when they need to be replaced,
because the outside rubber cover starts to show cracks. The stainless hoses
will do no such thing - that cover will last longer than anything else on
the car. *You* must remember to replace the hoses on a regular basis.

On a race car, I replace them every season. On a street car, I shoot for a
three year interval. You're in Minnesota, where it gets really cold - some
people have expressed concern that the Teflon inner liner does not behave
well in extreme cold weather. I've never been able to track down a failure
case, and I know that these hoses are rated for aircraft use down to -40
degrees, but I suspect that in those applications they may not be subjected
to as many flex cycles as on a street car. If you drive your TR3 in winter,
I'd replace the hose when replacing the brake fluid - that is, every year.