TR3 rear springs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 rear springs
From: fogbro1@impop.bellatlantic.net
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 22:22:42 -0400
Has anyone done any research on the correct spring rate for the TR3's
rear springs? The factory manual shows a rear spring and gives a rate of
around 125 lbs/inch and states a laden deflection of around 4 inches at
500 lbs. Is this good data for the later cars? (3A's).

I put a new (TRF) spring on the floor in the inverted position and stood
on it. The deflection was 1 inch with my weight of 185 lbs. Is this a
valid test? I then took an old, really beat-up TR3 spring and ran the
same test. Same result: 185 lbs. per inch.

Any leaf spring experts out there want to take a crack at this?

Any personal experiences with leaf spring replacement?

The springs presently on my '60 TR3 are so stiff that the rear axle
housing rests on the frame, no clearance to the rubber stops. I'm
wondering whether to replace them with either of the other pairs, old or
brand new? In it's present condition, it's neither fun nor safe.

Ed Woods

'60 TR3
'54 MGTF
TR250 with the frame in two pieces