RE: TR6 seats

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 seats
From: Rob C Swift <RobSwift@PetCentre.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 11:40:27 -0400
Brian,

        I too had thought all hope was lost with the seats in my '75 TR6.  I
found
that just replacing the rubber diaphragms (available at TRF for about $50)
made an UNBELEIVABLE difference.  I used a neatly folded towel above the
diaphragm of the driver side for a little extra height, but the passenger
side needed nothing.  Before I did this I too was riding around with
telephone books underneath my seats.  Very uncomfortable!

        As far as installation goes, I spent a total of about 2 hours.
Removing
the seats is just two bolts under the front of each seat.  I sat on the
steps of my deck with the seat upside down between my legs.  (I know that
sounds funny, but it was an easy working position.)  Getting the old
diaphragm out was easy since it was so deteriorated.  I used a pair of vice
grips to work the S-hooks into position for the new diaphragm.  The first
three sides are easy, the fourth you have to stretch.  All in all, the
project was MUCH easier than I expected it to be, and you do not have to
remove any of the seat coverings or the foam.

Let me know how it goes!!

Rob Swift
Manassas, VA