TR6 starting problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 starting problems
From: Blake Discher <bdischer@blakedischer.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 14:03:19 -0400
Hi all...

I've always wanted one, and so I did it.  Just picked up a 'clean as a
hound's tooth' 1976 TR-6 and am new to this list and British vehicles.  I
have been reading the list for about two weeks since I knew I was getting
the car and am very impressed with the knowledge shared here.  Here's my
question:

The guy I purchased the car from said that if it ever did not start on
turning the ignition key, to "wiggle" the shift lever (in the neutral
position, of course, from side to side) while holding the key in the start
position.  After several drives, it happened, I did what he suggested, and
bingo, the car started right up.  Curiously, it started when the lever
encountered the resistance that is felt when pushing the to the far right,
as you approach the 'reverse' position.  I asked him if there was a
starter-interlock on the shift lever mechanism that would prevent the
starter from engaging and he did not know.

Now, the car won't start at all (the engine won't turn over, just silence
when in the START position), even if I wiggle the shift lever.  This
problem is intermittent, and does not occur only when car is cold or warmed
up.  It can occur at any time, which is the bummer.  I've been reading some
info on the starter, starting solenoid and wonder if these are the likely
culprits.  Battery is good, accessories come on if turned on when key is in
ON position.

She's a beauty and I would love to get a few more drives in before the snow
flies here in southeast Michigan!  Any ideas?  I am planning on taking it
to reputable shop here for a rear-shock conversion AFTER that snow does fly!

Thanks.
Blake Discher
76 TR-6  CF56470U