Re: TS 58399, Primed At Last!

To: Gbouff1@aol.com
Subject: Re: TS 58399, Primed At Last!
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 21:29:57 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: hsgentry@cfw.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 Gbouff1@aol.com wrote:

> The respirator that I used was recomended by the paint shop.  It is made by
> SAS Safety Corp and is the series 2000 Surviair.and uses  two canisters,
> Survivair model 100100.  There are probably better models available for more
> money, but this one fit quite well with no leaks.  I felt like Darth Vader
> while wearing it.  Regardless of what model you use, store the mask and
> canisters in a zip lock bag after you take them out of their original
> packaging.  Otherwise the active ingredients in the canisters will get
> depleted from normal air movement.

When painting, you will want to use an Organic Vapor mask (this is what
the above sounds like, based on the description)

The one I have is made by North, and fits with no leaks, when I remember
to shave.  A few things to remember when using a silicone half-mask:

  -OV cartridges are NOT made for filtering dust, only vapors.  If you
will be working in clouds of dust (ie. sanding one's homemade fiberglass
hard top) where organic vapors will also be present, get some prefilters
for the mask.  It will make it slightly harder to breathe but you won't
clog up the active charcoal filters with crud.

  -The mask has an outlet for exhaling, the is also where condensation
comes out.  Don't lean over a fresh paint job, that's when a drip will
happen...

  -When you get one, you'll suddenly start saying things like "I find
your lack of faith... disturbing" and "There will be no one to stop us
this time" and "I... am your father".

-Malcolm, Dark Lord of the Sith
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm