Re: TR4A Manifold

To: Adrian Dix-Dyer <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: TR4A Manifold
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 23:34:45 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Adrian Dix-Dyer wrote:

> The manifold is of tubular manufacture four pipes into one. It looks as
> though it was originally chrome, nickel or similar plated. The main
> difference in comparison, to others that I have seen, is that at the first
> joint to the exhaust has a three bolt flange of standard size (the standard
> down pipe gasket fits) All the ones I have seen in catalogues are slide fit.
> This first joint is almost in line with where the engine and gearbox join.
> Can anyone identify the possible manufacturer from this basic info?

Can't identify the manufacturer, but it sounds a lot like a header version
of the stock TR4 manifold- it has a single downpipe connected with a clamp
+ flange.

You might want to try a TR2/3/4 exhaust pipe system - at least the
intermediate pipe- IIRC the solid axle TR4A needs twin mufflers that split
at the frame crossmember.

Hmm, but if I understand "in line with where the engine & gearbox join"
correctly, it's not much like the stock cast iron pipe.  Hmm..

(My TR4 uses a Toyota muffler that I bought for $10, so I can't help you
much WRT what happens after the mid pipe)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm